N.E.C. STYLE: OOTD CAPE & LEOPARD / A STORY ON SIZE SHAMING

OOTD CAPE & LEOPARD / A STORY ON SIZE SHAMING




There is a local boutiques that I love going to called Modeltowne in Brooklyn. The boutique sizes rage from small to large so I go there for bags, scarfs and accessories for myself or to pick items for styling models. I never thought anything could fit me from the store so I never picked up clothing for myself.    


One Friday, I got a call to style a size small model so went to pick up some sweaters, leathers and other great stylish fall items.  As I started shopping, I saw this long sleeve leopard print crop sweater and said "Man I wish you would get stuff like this in my size."  Modeltowne owner Milan, said to me "You never know, it may fit!"  Milan constantly told me to try things on but me being me I thought "why would she want to put me through the shame of something not fitting?"   Being plus size I though if it doesn't have a "x" behind those letters I won't even attempt to try on. 


sister cape to mine on Modeltowne Model
Milan pulled out this open leather tripped cape and  I said to myself  "oh, what the hell"  Soon as I tried it on I knew it was mine.  The tag said small but it fit my 3xl body perfectly.  While picking more items for my model and joking with Milan she said "You sure you don't want to try the sweater on?"  With my boost of confidence in my new cape I said ok.  Now I wear this crop sweater proud.

Now as I type this I realize how narrow minded I was.  How can I say I love fashion and confidence in women but not step outside my own box and try something.  No one else was size shamming me....but myself. 
I now go into her store and try things on all the time.  Some I win some I loose but the negative thoughts I had about the tags has disappeared.  Milan broke down a wall with me and I will always be thankful to her and Modeltowne. 

NOW THE LOOKS




Cape & Crop Top: Modeltowne
Pants: Torrid
Bag: Cameo Be Bore